It has been shown that nutritional counseling has the potential to improve addiction recovery rates. This is because nutrition and addiction are intrinsically linked. Those with substance use disorder often also have dietary issues because they are likely to eat foods with little to no nutritional value or simply not eating enough. If you or someone you love is struggling with a drug or alcohol addiction, reach out to the medical professionals at Avedis online or call 833.514.0579 today. At our outpatient treatment center, we offer a nutrition and wellness program to improve your relationship with food and support your recovery.
What Is Nutrition Counseling?
Studies have shown that even the most successful substance abuse program would lose its potency if it does not incorporate nutrition counseling. When recovering from addiction, you will have a better chance at achieving and sustaining long-term recovery because there is a clear, proven link between nutrition and addiction.
During nutrition therapy, Los Angeles residents will work with a dietitian to address both nutrition and addiction with the goal of delivering a lifetime of recovery and well-being. Nutrition therapy for substance use disorders is complex. The nutritional risks vary depending on the substance of choice, and negative conditions for successful treatment are common, including poor support, co-occurring mental health disorders, or poverty.
Why Is Nutritional Counseling Important To Overcoming Addiction?
Many drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs have added a holistic approach to treatment. This is important and healthy because instead of treating only your addiction, a rehab facility’s staff and programming will broaden its focus to address your entire being. With a nutrition and wellness program, you will be seen as a whole person with a mind, body, and spirit impacted by a substance use disorder. Because nutrition and addiction are linked, quitting drugs and living a clean, sober, and happy life relies on a series of healthy behaviors, including nutritional therapy.
What Is Involved In Nutrition Therapy?
In Avedis Recovery nutrition therapy, Los Angeles residents experience treatments and lessons that center around:
- Eating healthy foods
- Diets capable of promoting healing
- Finding foods that can nourish a body
- The importance of hydration to restore physical and mental health
- Learning how a lack of nutrients affect your body and ability to recover
- Understanding how poor nutrition can lead to depression, anxiety, and other triggers of substance abuse and/or relapse
- The impact of individual substances on a decreased appetite (stimulants) or increased cravings and weight gain.
Many drug treatment programs that target substance abuse prevention address nutrition and addiction because a more healthy lifestyle achieved through a proper relationship between you and the food you consume can promote positive mental health. While battling a substance use disorder, nutrition plays a key role in maintaining sobriety while also improving your physical and mental condition.
What Are The Goals of Nutrition Education?
Nutrition therapy in Los Angeles with Avedis Recovery has a number of goals as part of treating clients working to recover from substance addiction, including:
- Healing your physical body that has been damaged by alcohol or substance abuse
- Nourishment of your body
- Stabilizing your mood
- Reducing stress
- Minimizing your cravings for drugs and alcohol
- Addressing co-occurring mental health issues
- Teaching the importance of balanced, calorically appropriate meals
- Instilling an appreciation of physical activity and exercise
- Promoting long term self-care and a healthier lifestyle
Learn More at Avedis Recovery
If you or a loved one is suffering from addiction, learn how nutrition counseling at Avedis Recovery can be one important component of a successful recovery. Contact us using our secure online form or call us confidentially at 833.514.0579 today.