A family therapy program consists of psychological counseling that is custom-tailored to you and your needs to help you and your family members communicate more effectively and resolve any trauma and the conflicts that may exist within your family. Furthermore, many of the issues you and your family have experienced and are still coping with could stem from abuse and addiction. This means that you or another member of your family is struggling with a substance use disorder and could benefit significantly from family therapy for addiction. Often, mental health issues are co-occurring with a drug and alcohol addiction, requiring professional help at an outpatient addiction treatment center. Learn how intensive outpatient therapy in Los Angeles with Avedis Recovery can build bridges and bring your family back together. Contact us online or call 833.514.0579 today.
What Is a Family Therapy Program?
In our family therapy programs in Los Angeles, clients experience a counseling program facilitated by a psychologist, clinical social worker, or licensed therapist. A family therapy program is often a short-term way to find healing among family members and repair the lines of communication within the family. It may include all members of your family or only those willing and able to participate in the family counseling sessions. Your specific family therapy program will be custom-tailored to focus on the exact issues and challenges and any substance abuse and addiction currently playing a role in the conflicts you and your family members are suffering through.
What Can Family Therapy for Addiction Do?
Family therapy for addiction has the potential not only to heal wounds caused by substance use and abuse but also teach several essential life skills and help to improve a variety of common family issues, including:
- Strengthening connections within your family
- Helping your family members get through stressful events
- Improving relationships with a partner or your children
- Resolving marital issues
- Encouraging understanding among different family members with opposing viewpoints
- Reducing anger
- Minimizing grief experienced as a result of addiction issues
- Guiding you and your family through financial distress
- Teaching how to manage conflict between parent and child
- Addressing the short and long term impact of substance abuse on the individual and family unit
- Helping cope with mental illnesses
You may pursue family therapy for addiction in addition to and concurrently with other forms of substance use treatment, especially if one or more members of your family is suffering from a mental illness, addiction, or polysubstance abuse. In cases of addiction, with a family therapy program, family members can attend counseling together. At the same time, the person battling their substance use disorder participates in detox, rehab, and additional individual treatments.
What to Expect During a Family Therapy Program
Usually, several family members will gather together throughout a family therapy program and be in the same room for sessions. At the same time, individuals may opt to see a trained family therapist on a one-on-one basis. The family therapy in Los Angeles with Avedis will be personalized to accommodate you, your siblings, parents and/or children, and your unique situations.
Family therapy sessions last one hour or less and typically run for roughly a total of 12 sessions. Of course, the exact number needed to accomplish the specific goals you and your family have set for your family therapy program will be based on the therapist’s recommendation and may be different.
During a family therapy program, you can expect to be asked to:
- Examine you and your family members’ ability to solve problems
- Discuss how you might better express your emotions, ideas, and thoughts in a healthy way
- Look at the rules and roles as they exist in your family unit
- Explore the behavior patterns of your family members to identify the issue(s) contributing to the conflict(s)
- Find constructive methods of working through your issues
- Identify each member of your family’s strengths and talk about the ways they can be best utilized
- Show empathy for the struggles of your family member(s) as they work through matters of mental health and substance abuse
- Find common ground
- Set goals and work to achieve them
Learn More at Avedis Recovery
If your family is fractured and you need professional help to pull you all back into orbit, the family therapy program at Avedis Recovery can help. Contact us using our secure online form or call us confidentially at 833.514.0579 today.